To be a department of excellence in quality education and research in the multidisciplinary areas of Biotechnology.
1. To imbibe the ability of critical thinking, scholastic attitude and provide solutions for critical problems.
2. To embed acumen of life-long learning and zeal to pursue research in various disciplines of Biotechnology.
3. To nurture the ability to create sustainable solutions with a blend of socio-ethical understanding.
The Department of Biotechnology, one of the vibrant departments of Kalasalingam University (KLU), had its humble beginnings in the year 2002 with its offering of a 4-year undergraduate program in Biotechnology. This young and academically active department has rapidly won many laurels to its credit. In 2004, the department moved to an independent three-storey building which houses its research labs, discipline-specific teaching labs, individual faculty offices and classrooms. In 2006, the department was recognized as a research centre for pursuing doctoral programs.
Besides pursuing their regular academic activities, students are encouraged to participate in symposia and workshops. Our students have won many prizes in paper presentations and academic quiz competitions conducted at neighbouring colleges. Students are encouraged to take part in the on-going research activities of the department. Every year our students are selected for prestigious National Academy of Sciences summer fellowships and many have undergone summer training in premier laboratories in India.
The department has five independent teaching laboratories and a centralized instrumentation facility which house sophisticated equipment for the use of both the students and faculty. The equipment at the facility include fermentor, thermocycler, gel-documentation system, deep Freeze, liquid Chromatography system, Sonicator, UV-VIS Spectrophotometer, ultrafiltration unit and microplate readers.
In addition, the department has a 1000-sq. ft. research laboratory and a state-of-the-art animal cell-culture facility and Proteomics facility. These facilities have all the basic instruments needed for culturing animal cells, including an inverted microscope, a laminar air-flow system and a CO2 incubator and 2D Electrophoresis systems.
Our faculty members have diversified research expertise. They have been trained in premier institutions in India and abroad and a few of them have held senior positions in biotechnology and pharmaceutical companies. The faculty members of the department are actively involved in research and have ongoing projects funded by major funding agencies of the country.
The Master’s program (M.Tech) in Biotechnology is aimed at deepening students’ understanding of the various subject-areas and augmenting their skill sets so as to enable them to pursue research careers in industry, in addition to those in Manufacturing, Quality Control, Quality Assurance and Intellectual Property. Graduates completing this program can expect to work as project assistants, research associates, senior executives, and managers in various departments of biotechnology industries. Besides, the course also makes them competent enough to take up teaching as a career. Graduates may also pursue doctoral programs in their area(s) of interest as the course provides them with enough exposure to advanced techniques in biological research.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
Graduates with M.Tech. Degree in Biotechnology in five years after graduation is expected to have:
1. Established themselves as competent professionals excelling in various fields of biotechnology or in allied industries
2. Demonstrated their ability in problem solving skills and act with global, ethical, ecological and commercial awareness in the service of the society
3. To appreciate the significance of team work and collaborations in designing, planning, and implementing solutions for practical problems and facilitate the modern biotechnology with national research and academic organizations
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs)
1. An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to
solve practical problems.
2. An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document
3. Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over various areas in biotechnology
4. Capability to recognize problems, provide solutions related to industrial biotechnological processes that involve production of sustainable bioproducts
5. Demonstrated ability to address issues related to environmental and health care biotechnology using modern computational and analytical tools.
Those four years of my life have been the most memorable and gave me those moments that will be cherished forever. Kalasalingam University gave me the best of education, best of friends and the best of fun. Apart from the eminent faculty, flexible curriculum, the diversity of students in terms of socio-economic background, culture, language and religion gives Kalasalingamites a unique advantage – the ability to thrive in this fast-globalizing economy. Last but not the least, I owe KARE for what I am today and I am happy that I made the right decision to join KARE.
Mr. Rajaprasanna, (2013-17)
Yanmar Engine Manufacturing, Chennai.