“To be Recognized Globally as a Lead in Mechanical Engineering through Excellence in Education and Innovative Research in Emerging areas”.
1. To mold a graduate in mechanical engineering capable of solving contemporary problems through technical skills, lifelong learning and cutting-edge research
2. To impart interdisciplinary domain knowledge through collaboration with
3. To inculcate ability to provide sustainable solutions and practice ethics
through scholarship and innovation.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering, being one of the oldest departments of the institute, provides its students effective teaching-learning process and state-of-the-art laboratories. The department offers B.Tech degree programme in Mechanical Engineering along with PG Programme (Industrial Safety Engineering). The curriculum is highly demanding and attracts exceptionally meritorious students from all parts of the country. The department is constantly striving to attain excellence in education, teaching, academic and industry oriented research as well as consultancy work with service to the society.
The department has established state of the art laboratories namely Materials Processing Laboratory, Advanced Machining & Measurement Laboratory and Machine Dynamics & Condition Monitoring Laboratory under Level 1 of the DST-FIST program (Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure in Universities & Higher Educational Institutions). The department has been equipped with the research centers such as Centre for Composite Materials, Centre for Advanced Thermal Studies, Centre for Bio Composites, and Centre for Surface Engineering. The department is having funded research projects in the areas of optimization studies, composite materials, machining studies, supersonic flow, heat transfer and CO2 sequestration.
The department has modern laboratories and workshop facilities with ultra-modern sophisticated equipment to carry out research in all areas related to Mechanical, Thermal, Energy and Advanced Manufacturing Engineering. The department also welcomes students from other departments of the institute as a gesture of support to their time-to-time academic and research needs. Both undergraduate and postgraduate students of the department are well placed in leading industries as well as in the higher research level institutions of international recognition.
The department has active and vibrant students’ chapters of major professional bodies such as Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) and National Safety Council (NSC) India. Here they get a world class platform for organizing, participating and developing engineering dreams. The department has also a dynamic coordinating section dedicated for student’s intellectual property rights and patents.
Industrial Safety Engineering is an engineering discipline which assures that engineered systems provide acceptable levels of safety. It is strongly related to systems engineering, industrial engineering and the subset system safety engineering. Safety engineering assures that a life-critical system behaves as needed, even when components fail. The course is offered by the department of mechanical engineering. The aim of the course is to train personnel who already possess a first degree in engineering by providing them the scientific know-how and orientation in theory and practice in the area of safety, health and hygiene to make them fit into managerial positions.
Program Educational Objectives (PEO)
1. Graduate will serve as a solution provider through interactive learning to prevent accidents in industry by adapting latest technology.
2. Graduate will be able to apply research knowledge gained from safety analytics to develop unique safety models and protocols across industries.
3. Graduate will be able to formulate sustainable safety policy documents as per the need of the industries based on prescribed principles and acts.
PROGRAM OUTCOMES (POs)
1. An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems
2. An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document
3. Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area as per the specialization of the program. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program
4. Demonstrate the implementation of cutting-edge occupational safety, health, legal, and cultural, procedures, in reducing hazards associated in fireworks, chemicals, and construction industries.
5. An ability to engage in independent and life-long learning to augment the technology for safety and maintenance in Industry 4.0
Those four years of my life have been the most memorable and gave me those moments that will be cherished forever. Kalasalingam Academy of Research and Education gave me the best of education, best of friends and the best of fun. Apart from the eminent faculty, flexible curriculum, the diversity of students in terms of socio-economic background, culture, language and religion gives Kalasalingamites a unique advantage – the ability to thrive in this fast-globalizing economy. Last but not the least, I owe KARE for what I am today and I am happy that I made the right decision to join KARE.
Mr. Rajaprasanna, (2013-17)
Yanmar Engine Manufacturing, Chennai.