To achieve excellence in education and research in the field of Physics and other related areas through knowledge creation and dissemination.
1. Impart quality education and promote scientific temper.
2. Blend theoretical knowledge with practical skills.
3. Motivate basic/academic and applied research in technically important fields.
4. Provide access to all sections of the society to pursue higher education.
5. Inculcate moral values and ethics among students.
6. Prepare students as responsible citizens.
7. Hasten the process of creating a knowledgeable society.
Established in the year 1984, the department of physics, Kalasalingam Academy of Research and Education started its journey through the vision of the founder chairman “Kalvivallal” Thiru T Kalasalingam has grown into a department of research with excellent active research in all front-line areas of research. The Department offers a B.Sc. programme in Physics. This programme started to inculcate in the minds of the students a strong fascination for learning science, physics in particular. This programme encourages them to take up a scientific career, either academic or Research. This programme offers advanced major electives and job oriented skill based elective courses. The department’s faculty members have high research capabilities in a variety of fields such as crystallography, spectroscopy, thin films, theoretical physics, nonlinear optics, polymer science, ionics, and so on. The department has well-equipped laboratories where students’ innovative ideas are implanted. With the help of cutting-edge research and education, the department is tasked with developing new technologies and procedures for the development of various new materials useful in the fields of medicine, batteries, opto-electronics, fuel cells, and so on.
This programme helps the students achieve the 3 important objectives i.e. Technical Proficiency, Management Skills and Professional Growth.
1. Technical Proficiency: They will be effective in finding employment that is relevant to their interests and education, and they will become successful physicists.
2. Professional Growth: Continue to grow professionally through lifelong learning, higher education, science, and other innovative initiatives in their fields of specialization.
3. Management Skills: Improve your leadership skills in technological and social responses by being creative.
Kalasalingam University is focused and involved in research-based studies and the university has been offered grants from time to time funded by different prestigious departments working in the field of Science & Technology. The University is granted the funding for doing research and development in the field of Science & Technology. B.Sc. students have been involved in the funding projects received from the government and also involved in community-based work such as water sensor and treatment. By taking research and practical exposure of the students, faculty motivates the students of B.Sc.-Physics to do brainstorming and think out of the box which also resulted in the completion of the device-based projects such as low-cost Spectrometer and solar still. Faculty members are actively participating in the research which resulted in funded projects from the funding agencies like CSIR, DST-SERB, UGC etc
The department has formed an Association named Krishnan Physics Association (KPA). In KPA Students are been actively involved in co-curricular and extracurricular activities towards improvement of interpersonal, subject, communication and presentation skills.
No of student’s activities completed under KPA
SCHRÖDINGERKARE, TICAS, PHYSIKA 2019, PHYSIKA 2020, BIG BANG CLUB.
Molecular Quantum Mechanics Laboratory
Fourier transform Infra Red Spectrometer (FT-IR)
Multi functional Materials Research Laboratory
Atomic Absorption Spectrometer
Scanning Electron Microscope
LCR- Impedance analyzer
Water Bath Deposition Unit
Guassian work station
Program Outcomes (PO)
1. With the help of this programme, the students will be able to identify, formulate and solve complex problems in the field of theoretical physics, condensed matter physics and electronics.
2. Students will be able to recognize the need for and also develop the ability to engage in life-long learning and be able to demonstrate a knowledge of contemporary issues.
3. Kalasalingam’s B.Sc.-Physics programme will help the students to be able to plan, execute and report the results of a complex extended experiment or investigation, using appropriate methods to analyze data and to evaluate the level of its uncertainty.
4. This programme will make the students capable of designing a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability.
5. After the end of the programme, students will be able to communicate the concepts effectively in oral and written form.
I take this opportunity to thank my professors and mentors of KARE who showed me the path to reach heights. I graduated from KARE during 2013 with not only academics but also with skills which is very much required by the Industries. Our institution has a wonderful curricula which focuses both on CGPA and Non-CGPA as well, which fired the inherent design skills in me. The quality faculty and the evergreen environment made me to grow further to achieve many laurels in my career.
Er. S. Mohammed Sabiq
Renault Nissan Pvt Ltd.