Department of Information Technology was started in 1998, offering B.Tech. (IT) programme under the affiliation of Madurai Kamaraj University. With excellent laboratory and research facilities, the programme was continuously affiliated by the Madurai Kamaraj University and later by Anna University. The Programme was accredited by NBA in the year 2004.
Arulmigu Kalasalingam College of Engineering (AKCE) blossomed out as Kalasalingam University (KLU) in the year 2007 offering B.Tech (IT), M.Tech (IT) and Ph.D programmes. With boom in communication technologies, department started offering B.Tech in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) from the year 2011.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To become a centre of excellence in the field of Information Technology through quality education and research.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To provide high quality technical education through effective curriculum and innovative teaching to meet industry needs.
- To inculcate ethically and socially committed information technology professionals by value added courses.
- To maintain state-of-the-art learning facilities for students and faculties to investigate, apply and transfer knowledge.
FEATURES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Have a good mix of young and well experienced faculty members with more than 90% of the faculty members holding PhD or registered for PhD and doing research in different Streams of Information Technology.
- Well equipped Laboratories for
- Microprocessor and Microcontrollers
- Communication Laboratory
- Digital and System Design Laboratory
- Digital Signal Processing Laboratory
- Multimedia Laboratory
- Network Laboratory
- Computer Graphics Laboratory
- A good library consisting of books in various streams, journals, magazines, e-tutorials as CDs, Question Booklets and various project reports for student’s reference.
- A good number of publications in National and International Journals, and Conference by the faculty members and students.
- The department organizes symposium once in every year and National level conference once in every two years.
- The following short term courses were offered from the department for employability:
- Oracle 9i Certification
- Php and MySql
- Special Coaching for Aptitude Skills, Communication, and GATE is offered for the department students.
- Most of the Students in the Department are placed in leading MNCs and are working across the globe.
- Choice Based Credit System allows students to study courses based on their choice.
- Faculty Advisory System takes care of the overall well being of each student in addition to the betterment in studies.
- Fast learners are encouraged to do Honors by completing special courses and slow learners are provided with Summer Term to clear the backlog
- Students are encouraged to go for Industrial Visits and Inplant Training to update their skill set
- Faculty members are encouraged to attend various Faculty Development Programmes, Conferences and Workshops to enrich their knowledge.
- Parents Teachers Association (PTA) is conducted every semester for face to face interaction between teachers and parents to know about the academic performance and other relevant matters pertaining to their wards
- Alumni Association of the department is active and keeps a good contact with all the graduated students.
SCOPE OF THE DEPARTMENT & JOB OPPORTUNITIES
An Information Technology Professional needs to be well versed in the following areas
- Design and Development of Computer Software and hardware.
- Analysis Design and Maintaining Communication Systems.
- Research and Development in emerging Computing Era.
With latest trends in computing technology and process automation, the need for qualified and well trained Information Technology Engineers is also growing. The demand for an Information Technology shall be always there as they are the ones who maintain the Database and monitor the automation control. Many Public Sector and Private Sector Industries recruit the Information Technology Engineers.
- To create an environment for students, staff and faculty members that natures academic excellence, professionalism, ethics, social responsibility and respect for individuals.
- To sustain academic excellence and quality in all endeavors.
- To motivate, train and retain the talented faculty members.
- To get 100% placement for all UG and PG students.